5.11.11

Chocolate Pots



In life, there truly are problems that can only be resolved one way, with chocolate.  I know this to be very true.  Think way back to when you were a little cherub playing in the yard, some big kid would upset you leaving you in a puddle of salty sullen tears and the only consolation that had any form of acceptability to you came in the form of a chocolate chip cookie.  To you, that chocolate chip cookie represented happiness, joy, goodness and most of all the fact that everything was going to be all right.  We all change and grow up and do ‘grown up’ things, live ‘grown up’ lives and act in very serious ‘grown up’ sorts of ways but I guarantee there is one thing that will never change and that my dear ‘grown up’ friends is the miraculous healing powers of chocolate.


You see, no matter how old we get chocolate still remains that warm blanket of comforting sunshine we crave for when our days become rough.  Chocolate is that comforting sweet spiked hug that we all need from time to time.  Even as an adult going through a break up, job loss, friendship woes or even money troubles, chocolate still has the amazing power to evoke that precious feeling of ‘everything is going to be okay’.   I guess that’s why we all love it so much.  It not only tastes deliciously amazing but it provides us with a reassuring sense of contentment that we all so dearly crave.


My chocolate pots today did just that, they offered up some much needed love and comfort to a dear friend of mine.  It was pure serendipity today that I happened to be cooking them and I am very glad I did because there truly is no greater sight than witnessing a friend’s tear soaked cheek turn into a contented smile.  Seeing the ‘everything is going to be okay’ look appear across a friends face is pure bliss.  The very type of bliss that can only be evoked by a tiny jar of chocolate comforting goodness.    


These chocolate pots are incredibly delicious, they are so rich, thick and luscious you have to keep the portion sizes tiny, thus my use of teeny tiny jars.  I also used them because they’re so darn cute.  I started by placing the chocolate in a bowl and poured over an almost boiling mixture of cream and sugar, this melted the chocolate turning it into a gleaming pond of dark goodness.  To this I added to two egg yolks, a shot of Grand Marnier and a tablespoon of butter....I whipped the mixture into the most luscious looking dessert and had to hold myself back from eating the entire mixture before it made its way into the tiny and oh so cute jars.


To serve and comfort my upset guest, I topped the pots with whipped cream, chards of dark chocolate and a raspberry.  And to add even more cute factor, I also tied a little kitchen string in a bow around the jar.  Nawww.  I knew just by looking at these adorable jars of chocolate heaven my friend would soon be feeling all better.  And she did.  Enjoy K X


Chocolate Pots
Adapted from Delicious Magazine April 2011
INGREDIENTS
250g good quality dark chocolate, chopped plus extra shaved into shards
200ml thickened cream, plus extra whipped cream to serve
2 tbs caster sugar
2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
1 tbs grand marnier
20g butter
Punnet of raspberries
METHOD
Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl and set aside.  Heat cream and sugar in a pan over low heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar.  Bring to just below boiling point, then remove from heat and pour over the chocolate, stirring until completely melted and smooth.  Gently stir in egg yolks, grand marnier and butter and stir to combine.  Divide among four dessert moulds and chill in the fridge for an hour or until set.  To serve, top with whipped cream, shaved chocolate and raspberries.  Serves 4.


1 comment: