27.11.11

Lemon & Honey Biscotti w’ Lemon Drizzle Icing




Biscotti.  I know, I know, I have been baking biscotti like a mad woman of late but I just can’t help myself, I love them!  I am obsessed with their gorgeously chewy texture, sweet nutty flavour and they look so cute snuggled next to my espresso cup.  Biscotti are clearly my latest obsession and I make no apologies.




These little biscotti babies were inspired by my beloved lemon & honey cream pots that I dreamt up last week.  Oh the pots were amazing, full of lemon, honey and lusciously creamy.  As you can imagine the delicious cream pots were devoured long ago, leaving a gap in my heart that had to be filled.  And I am very happy to report that my longing lead me to create these biscotti that sing a very similar flavour tune...full of the same zingy lemon and warming soothing happy honey!


Biscotti has me smitten for a number of reasons, yes they are delicious and obviously that is one of the reasons I love baking them but another, less obvious reason is the joy that they bring to a home.  Cooking biscotti evoke the most gorgeous aromas to waft from the oven instantly turning a house into a home and the sight of a cookie tray filled with endless rows of biscotti is enough to make anyone feel joyful and welcome.




By themselves these biscotti are amazing; however with the lemon drizzle icing trickled over, these biscotti are taken to new levels of deliciousness.  Watching the glossy lemon icing drizzle over the edges of the biscotti slowly setting to form a glistening icing capped biscotti top was magic.  Completely incredible in fact and the only thing left to do was pour myself an espresso and dig right in.  Enjoy, K x



Lemon & Honey Biscotti w’ Lemon Drizzle Icing


adapted from Taste Italia Magazine, May 2011

INGREDIENTS
3 large eggs, separated
1 1/3 cup caster sugar
500 g almond meal
Zest of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon of honey
Lemon Drizzle Icing:
1 ½ cup icing sugar
¼ cup sour cream
Zest of 1 lemon

METHOD

In a large bowl, using electric beaters whisk the egg yolks.  Gradually add sugar, whisking until well combined.  Add the almond flour, lemon zest and honey and whisk to just combine.
In a separate clean bowl, using electric beaters beat the egg whites to a soft peak.  Using a spatula fold one-third of the egg whites into the almond mixture, fold in remaining egg whites just to combine.
Cover and refrigerate biscuit dough for an hour.  Preheat oven to 160° C and line baking sheets with non-stick baking paper.
Roll biscuit dough into tablespoon sized balls (don’t flatten the cookies) and place 3 centimetres apart on the baking tray.  Bake until lightly golden, about 15 minutes.
To make the lemon drizzle icing combine icing sugar, sour cream and lemon zest in a small bowl and whisk to combine.  Drizzle the icing over the cooled biscuits and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment